Written By Jimmie Burroughs
“Studies on successful aging have shown that only one third of what predicts how well we age is controlled by genetics. About two thirds is based on our personal lifestyle choices — and is therefore under our control,” says psychiatrist Gary Small, director of the UCLA Center on Aging and author of The Longevity Bible (Hyperion).
In this article you will find the greatests secrets for aging well…
“O God, you have taught me from my earliest childhood,
and I constantly tell others about the wonderful things you do.
Now that I am old and gray,
do not abandon me, O God.
Let me proclaim your power to this new generation,
your mighty miracles to all who come after me.” (Psalm 71:17,18)
“Gray hair is a crown of glory;
it is gained in a righteous life.” (Proverbs 16:31)
What one young author wrote about old people
6 Annoying things about old people
1. “You can’t tell the elderly anything.”
2. “Old people should not be allowed to shop for their own groceries.”
3. “Old people and cars are a lethal combination.”
4. “Old people think that just because they’re old they’re automatically interesting.”
5. “Old people are always on the lookout for some misdemeanor to bring to the attention of the authorities.”
6. “The elderly are rude.”
He missed some of the more common ones.
1. They are grumpy
“Despite it all, I enjoy having old people around. They make me feel young and sprightly and superior. And that’s something no amount of money can buy.” *
I will say that he is right in some cases but it is highly unfair to stereotype all old people in that same vein of thought.
Many old people continue to be very productive as well as mentally sharp all their lives. Below is a sampling of some surprising things old people have done:
61-year-old placekicker Alan Moore is the oldest person ever to play college football; Presently plays.
Nola Ochs, Oldest College Graduate at age 95
Ruth Hamilton, Nola Ochs graduates college at age 95, after 30 years of classes.
Oldest Blogger at 109
Bess Tancrelle, Oldest Biker Chick at 102
Gaudette Cecilia, Oldest Absentee Voter at 106
A couple of unnamed 101 year olds, Oldest Sky Divers
Yuichiro Miura, Oldest person to climb Mount Everest at the age of 70
Bert Kilbride, Oldest Scuba Diver at 93
Things accomplished by old people at various ages:
- Col Sanders started Ken Fried chicken at 65.
- Only days before he died Yeats at 65 completed his final play and poems.
- Ronald Reagan was reelected as the President of the United States at age 73.
- Larry King completed 50 years in broadcasting at age 73.
- Pilot Jimmy Leeward was the pilot of the 65-year-old the world war II P51, the “Galloping Ghost” flying at speeds over 500 MPH, 100 feet above the ground.
- Chuck Yeager who first broke the sound barrior reenacted his first breaking 50 years later at age 74.
- Warren Buffett made a $30 billion contribution to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation for use in various world-wide charitable causes at age 74.
- Ramari Port, received her PhD in molecular medicine from the University of Auckland at age 74
- Barbara Hillary, a cancer survivor, became the first black woman and one of the oldest people to reach the North Pole at age 75.
- Arthur Rubinstein, at age 76 gave a concert in London and continued to give occasional performances well into his 80s
- Grandma Moses started painting started her career at age 77.
- In a study of how space flight affects the elderly, John Glenn became the oldest person to go into space, at age 77.
- In a field west of St. Louis, Grandmother Emma Hanner, at age 77, made an emergency landing after the engine on her plane suddenly stopped. In nearly four decades of flying, this was her first emergency landing. She planned to fly again.
- Charles Stanley is still pastor one of the largest churches in America at the age of 79.
- Actor Jimmy Stewart worked out a plan to enhance public understanding and appreciation for the Constitution and Bill of Rights at age 79.
- Jessica Tandy, who starred in Driving Miss Daisy, became the oldest Oscar recipient for her work at age 80.
- Dean Cole was still doing manual volunteer work at 80.
- George Burns for his work in the Sunshine Boys became the second oldest Oscar recipient at the age of 80.
- Physician and author Oliver Wendell Holmes published “Over the Teacups,” which revealed his vitality and wit at the age of 80.
- Paul Newman who starred as Supporting Actor in the miniseries or TV Movie for “Empire Falls” earned an Emmy at the age of 80.
- Theodor Mommsen won the Nobel Prize in Literature to become the oldest person to ever receive it at age 85.
- J.C. Penny was still working at his business at age 95.
- Johannes Heesters appeared in the Saturday night show, Wetten Dass, to become the oldest guest at age 100.
Harvard study on aging
“The longest, most comprehensive examination of aging ever conducted. Since the 1930s, researchers have studied more than 800 men and women, following them from adolescence into old age, and seeking clues to the behaviors that translate into happy and healthy longevity.” *
- Avoiding cigarettes
- Good adjustment or coping skills (“making lemonade out of lemons”)
- Keeping a healthy weight
- Exercising regularly
- Maintaining strong social relationships (including a stable marriage)
- Pursuing education
My priorities for aging well
1. Stay away from doctors and hospitals unless you really need them.
2. Avoid medication unless required.
2. Get plenty of exercise, both physically and mentally.
3. Eat healthy; 5 foods that help to keep you thin that you should include each week in your diet:
4. Use vitamins and supplements; below are some that I use:
- New Silver Solution (click for video)
- Resveratrol (Click for video)
- Vitamin D (More Information)
- Vitamin B-12 (More Information)
5. Don’t waste time doing things you don’t want to do.
6. Be inspired by the better things of life.
6. Deliver value.
7. Love people
8. Have an animal companion.
9. Enjoy your family.
10. Have a positive attitude.
11. Never give up on life.
12. Have a simple lifestyle.
True happiness is not brought about by material things, it’s through relationships with friends and family and doing things you most enjoy.
Ads by Google
I have great confidence in the progress you are going to make.To subscribe to blog simply click on the RSS button on the left, and copy and paste the URL of our RSS feed into your RSS reader. ARTICLE INDEX _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ FREE Reproduction Rights – Feel free to publish this article on your website as long as the following information is included at the end of the article:
JimmieBurroughs.com is founded and maintained by Jimmie Burroughs Nashville, Tennessee. _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________ © 2011 Jimmie Burroughs. All rights reserved